Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Feeling like a Yo-yo



Feeling like a yo-yo is not as fun as it sounds...believe me...I know! In fact, I'm sure that most people know that yo-yo feeling where you go through the day and for a little while everything feels good, then blah, then good, the blah again. At least I hope I'm not the only one to experience this yo-yo feeling!

Some days are just like that. Ups and downs so many times in those few hours- you might as well be on a roller-coaster at an amusement park. But I've found some ways to keep those days and even the days where it doesn't feel like a yo-yo, but just a downhearted day more lighthearted than they appear.

1. Realize that it's okay. 

It is perfectly fine to have a rough day or a emotional day here and there. Sometimes it just needs to happen so you can clear the air and get that fresh start. That pity party that wants to happen...throw it! Just don't stay there. Have your pity party, feel sorry for yourself, sad and whatever else, but then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again-just learn from what has happened and work to improve your situation.

2. Learn to laugh at yourself. 

I often bounce off walls, stumble on...well, air...misspeak, misspell words, drop things for no apparent reason, have simple things run out of control, or just do something that was plain silly and dumb. I've learned to laugh at it and not take it so seriously. Find joy in the moment.

3. Give others a break

It is so easy to take out your frustration on someone else-and there are many times they deserve it! But give them a break and a moment of understanding- you may be in a spot where you need that same. Also,if you're having a rough day, be honest about it. Warn your family or close friends- basically those who have to be around you- that I'm having a rough day so if I snap at you, it's not your fault. This technique has saved my family many undesirable misunderstandings.

4. Give yourself a break

That bubble bath maybe hard to squeeze into your schedule, but do it. That game you've wanted to play may cut into something you need to get done, but play it. Find something you'd love to do, that allows you the chance to relax, and spend some time doing it! You need to give yourself a break from the constant running and same old same old. Take a little bit of time to set aside and invest in yourself. This isn't being selfish, it's just changing the oil , so to speak, so you can have the strength to make it the next 7,000 miles. 

5. Smile

I knew someone who once told me that when they are having a rough time of it they would look at the ceiling and just smile. After a while all it took was for them to look up and that smile would come. I'm pretty sure it was because when you look at the ceiling with all smiles- you feel like an idiot- and that is just too funny! 

Bottom line- don't take life so seriously. It's way too short to waste on things that don't and won't matter. Mistakes and bad days will happen, but as a child of God you've been given the ability to overcome anything that comes your way!  Jesus has already given you the victory.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
John 16:33


So as I travel the yo-yo journey called life I often think if this song. Hopefully, it can brighten your day and you will remember when you fall down: to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again!




No comments:

Post a Comment