Friday, May 2, 2014

Pork Shoulder Roast


When I was cleaning out my freezer I came across a pork should roast that had been in there for a few months. It had been given to me by someone, but as I'd never cooked a pork shoulder...I left it in the freezer until such a time where I would gain the courage to make it for dinner.

The time had arrived. I figured worst case scenario, it doesn't turn out and the dogs will eat it. That was not meant to be!

I researched some recipes and determined the best way to cook it and then proceeded with creating the following recipe (I didn't get a picture of it when it came out of the oven, but it looked fancy and delicious!):





Season Pork Shoulder Roast


1 Pork shoulder roast (mine was 7 lbs and had a bone-do they come without a bone?)
1 small Onion- quartered
2 Carrots- peeled and cut up into desired size (I threw in some pre-cut organic baby carrots)
2 cups Water
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Thyme


Place pork shoulder in a roasting pan (Click here to see the pan I used.). Season with salt, pepper  and thyme. Turn roast over-fat side should be on top- and season the top of the roast.

Place carrots and onion around roast. Add water. Back at 400*F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325*F and back for 4-6 hours more or until tender and falling off the bone. Let roast sit for a few minutes before cutting.


Side ideas: mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, applesauce, mac & cheese, green beans, corn, dinner rolls, or any other personal favorite!

Leftover ideas: barbecue pulled pork sandwiches, pulled pork nachos, shepherds pie, pork pot pie, pork sandwiches, pork enchiladas, pork, rice and bean dinner, chili, pizza, omelet with pork, cheese and any other delicacy you like with your omelet. Do you have any other ideas?


My notes:

I used one small onion and a two handfuls of carrots as I am the only one who will eat them. However, for larger portions it should be no problem to add more.

You can also throw in some potatoes to bake with the roast as well- just be aware that the cooking time may increase. I felt like mashed potatoes when I did this so I didn't put any in.

As for the range on the cooking time- that will vary depending on how many veggies or potatoes you use. I put mine in around 10:30 in the morning and had it baking until 4:00 pm- that's the total baking time, including the 400*F time. I then let it sit in the oven as even though the meat was perfect...it was too early for dinner!

You can use the drippings to make a gravy, but it be super fatty. The meat should be tender and juicy enough that any additional gravy isn't necessary.

Servings- the final product, all cut up, filled my 3 Quart Princess House Bake, Serve and Store dish!

Now that I have overcome my fear of making a pork shoulder roast...with so many leftovers the decision is up in the air: should I try and new recipe- I'm thinking Pulled Pork Nachos- or be content with enjoying it as is, a simple seasoned, luscious pork dinner?



No comments:

Post a Comment